After two years of restoration, the studio-apartment where Le Corbusier lived from 1934 to 1965 reopens its doors to the public.
Le Corbusier’s former studio apartment was restored by French architect François Chatillon in time for the 50th anniversary celebrations of Le Corbusier Foundation. Open to the public, the Nungesser-et-Coli apartment in Paris has undergone two years of restoration after being included in the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Le Corbusier’s studio-apartment occupies the last two floors of the Molitor apartment block, located at 24, rue Nungesser et Coli. Designed between 1931 and 1934 by Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret, his cousin and associate, the building called “24 N.C.” is situated in the 16th arrondissement at the border between Paris and Boulogne. Due to its East-west orientation and its exceptional surroundings, it fits what Le Corbusier termed “the conditions of the radiant city”. As a project for a rental building, it offered the architect the opportunity to test the validity of his urban proposals. Given that no structures were placed opposite, he could raise facades entirely filled with windows, thereby constructing the first residential apartment made of glass in architectural history. Bathed in light, Le Corbusier’s personal apartment spans the length of the last floor and, furthermore, houses his painting studio. The architect would inhabit this apartment-terrace from 1934 until his death in 1965. The apartment was classified as a Historical Monument in 1972, and the facades facing the streets, the courtyard, the roof, and the entrance hall were also inscribed as such in 1990.
Le Corbusier’s restored apartment at 24 rue Nungesser et Coli in Paris is now open to the public and can be visited on Mondays, Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Instagram addicted, appassionata di luoghi abbandonati, mi cibo di viaggi e di nutella. Astenersi fan dell’uncinetto e del cucito.