A new building on the Vitra Campus has been recently opened: the Vitra Schaudepot, literally a “display depot” which is intended both as a warehouse and a museum. The project was created by the Basel architects Herzog & de Meuron since although in 1989 Frank Gehry’s main museum building was originally designed to house the Vitra Design Museum collection, today this space is home to major temporary exhibitions. Since the museum’s principal collection has not yet been permanently housed, the Herzog & de Meuron studio was called upon to design a new building.
- Exterior view Schaudepot, designed by the architects Herzog & de Meuron, photo © Vitra Design Museum, Mark Niedermann
Schaudepot’s centrepiece is a permanent exhibition of some 430 pieces that are key to modern furniture design from 1800 to the present day. With its inauguration, the Vitra Design Museum has greatly expanded its exhibition area as well as its own programme.
The Frank Gehry museum building will house other large temporary exhibitions in future and the Vitra Design Museum Gallery will host smaller more experimental projects while the Schaudepot will be home to the permanent exhibition as well as temporary exhibitions from time to time. It thus represents one of the largest permanent exhibitions and research sites into modern furniture design in the world.